Tuesday, March 2, 2010

BOG or "Boots on the Ground"

What's it mean?
Army Reserve docs, dentists and nurse anesthetists are deployed to theater on 90 day "boots on the ground" orders. We travel to our in-processing station, deploy to theater and then out-process. I'm told, the entire time away averages 114 days. So, once my boot touches ground in Afghanistan, the 90 day ticker starts. Unless I am a commander, DCCS (doc in charge of all the docs) or voluntarily extend, 90 days is it.

This came about in response to multitudes of docs and dentists losing their practices after they were away for up to 2 years serving in the first Gulf War. Flip side is that we can be activated every 18 months as a "BOG-er". I've been in the Reserves for nearly 8 years and this is my 3rd activation and 1st deployment. Also my last, as I can retire in May, 2011. More on the Reservist's role in my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment