Sunday, May 23, 2010

It's Finally Lost Its Allure


Well, by now you've all heard about the attack on KAF last night. Nothing I'm going to tell you can't be found on the internet. It started at 1950 with a rocket attack - I hit the floor (on Skype with Jolene again, that's two in a row!), waited 2 minutes, got back into my uniform and headed out to the bunker. The bunker is 2 walls of 12 inch thick concrete with a concrete roof. Fits lots of people.
Once I got into the bunker, another rocket attack siren wailed and one landed ~3/4 mile away. Not 10 seconds later, another hit the boardwalk which is ~150 meters from my bunker. The picture was taken 20 seconds after it hit. We then got the Giant Voice stating that "KAF is under ground attack. Take cover in place". So there I stood in the bunker (or very near it as concrete baked all day long in the sun doesn't cool down quickly) for the next 4 hours as Force Protection took care of the "situation".

In the end, 12 people were injured with no fatalities. When you come to think of it, ~15 insurgents attacking a fortified air base with a population of 25,000 of which at least 20,000 are armed in a defensive posture - not the smartest idea.

Anyway, as I was walking away from RC(S) this afternoon in 100 degree heat, wearing 40 pounds of body armor with the wind blowing dust in my eyes and poo-pond smell in my nose, I thought, "my fun-meter is just about pegged!"

3 comments:

  1. Just think of Vegas..we'll be there soon:)Oh...and your wife and kids and house and life and all of that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, Just got off the phone with Joleen. called to find out the real scoop on your mother. I got a call last week telling me that she was in bad shape and before I called her or go to see her I needed to know the truth. Joleen and I had a great conversation.She is super!

    Sounds like you are having the time of your life with "doing serious medical attention to the locals" and the occasional rocket attacks. Hey, you can't be a full bird and not be able to tell some war stories to your buddies and friends. Please keep your head down and be safe, Joyce and I can't afford to go looking for a new Doc. By the way, other than the fact that you are living very close to the anal sphincter of the world the food looks reasonably OK.

    Best Wishes, Alan Weiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. DADDADDADDADDADDADDADDADDAD!!!!!!!



    I CAN HAS A CHEEZBURGER NIGHT IS ON THE THIRD!
    The mariners is handing out cheezburger bobbleheads!!!

    I'll try and get you one. :]

    <3

    http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/sea/ticketing/special_group.jsp?group=cheezburger

    ReplyDelete