Thursday, April 1, 2010

CRC Concluded

Sorry about the lack of blog posts. Became quite busy with CRC and frustrated with my order situation so I'll summarize both...

CRC

Monday - up early, signed credentialing paperwork, went through medical readiness and had HIV drawn (again), had hearing tested (I have some mild high frequency hearing loss to Jolene's delight), received anthrax, hep B and smallpox vaccinations and was medically cleared. We then went to equipment issue and stood in more lines.

Tuesday - Went to soldier readiness processing to take of personnel and finance issues then received more clothing issue and M-9 pistol. Went back to CRC and promptly turned the weapon in to the armor.

Wednesday - went to briefings and practical walk-throughs on unexploded ordinance and IEDs in the morning and had the afternoon off because they were training on first aid. Unfortunately, the afternoon was wasted dealing with my orders (see below).

Thursday - up really early (0415) to draw our weapons and then off to PMI (Primary Marksmenship Instruction) and then to the range to fire. I qualified hitting 19/30 targets. Had the afternoon off again which I spent packing and repacking the 4 duffel bags.

Friday - flight day


Orders Fiasco.

I didn't get my mobilization orders until 3 weeks prior to CRC. This was way too late and the orders had me deploying to Iraq. I tried to get this fixed multiple times but was told "we're working on it" or "that change is levels above us". Once I got to CRC, I was issued items based on Iraq and also couldn't get my flight manifested because of the error. This culminated in my removal from the manifest list.

That happened Wednesday afternoon and I was told the orders needed to be fixed or I'd be REFRAD (released from active duty). I called my contact at Ft. Bragg who said he was working on it and would call me back in 1-2 hours. He never did.
I called him back and he said he contacted a Leutenant Colonel at higher head quarters who said this was "an easy fix". Heard that before. He said he'd call me by 1400 the next day. He never did. I went to sleep Thursday night figuring I was either going to Afghanistan or going home. No word Friday morning as soldiers were lining up to sign out and get their packets...
0920 I was e-mailed that my orders were fixed and ready for pickup. Off we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment